Summer is here! We like to celebrate with ice cream in as many forms as possible. In this recipe, soft & chocolatey salted almond cookies are sandwiched with vanilla ice cream, then rolled in our Chocolate Covered Cacao Nibs for a delicious Taza twist on a classic ice cream treat.
Yields 12 cookies (enough for 6 ice cream sandwiches)
1/2 stick butter
1 disc Taza Salted Almond Chocolate Mexicano, chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg, beaten
pinch of salt
2 pints vanilla ice cream
1 cup Taza Chocolate Covered Cacao Nibs
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. In a microwavable dish, heat butter and chocolate for 20 seconds on high heat then remove from microwave and stir. Heat for an additional 10 seconds if necessary.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and pinch of salt. Fold in melted chocolate mixture and beaten egg and mix until dough forms.
4. Roll dough into 12 evenly sized balls and place on lined baking sheet. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until cookies have spread and the tops have crackled. Remove from oven and let the cookies sit on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack or plate to finish cooling.
5. Remove ice cream from the freezer and let it sit on the counter for 10 minutes to soften slightly, then using an offset spatula place 1/4 cup of ice cream on the bottom of one cookie, sandwich with the bottom of another cookie, then roll the edges in Taza Chocolate Covered Cacao Nibs. Repeat for remaining cookies. Place the finished ice cream sandwiches in the freezer and allow them to harden for at least an hour before serving.