At Taza Chocolate we make stone ground, organic chocolate. We want our cacao’s complex flavors to shout loud and proud. That is why we stone grind cacao beans into minimally processed chocolate with bold flavor and texture, unlike anything you have ever tasted.
Taza is organized into three major functions at its Somerville operation: Production, Sales & Marketing, and Operations & Finance. The Director of Finance is responsible for producing and driving execution of top level financial strategies, managing the day-to-day of the company’s finances, and assisting the CEO and COO in the aggressive and successful growth of the company. Through a respectful, constructive and energetic style, the Director of Finance will provide leadership, management and vision to ensure that the company has the proper financial controls, reporting procedures, and analysis in place to effectively grow the organization and ensure efficiency, all while considering the strategic objectives of company.
Reporting to the COO and serving as an integral member of the Management Team, the Director of Finance will be responsible for the development of Taza Chocolate’s day-to-day financial management strategy and contribute to the development of the organization’s strategic goals. This is an outstanding opportunity for a finance focused executive with a proven track record of creative problem-solving and change management to join in a high-growth, mission-driven organization.
- Provide day-to-day leadership that mirrors the mission and core values of the company. Drive the company to achieve and surpass sales, profitability, cash flow and other business goals.
- Collaborate with the management team to develop and implement plans for the growth objectives of our organization.
- Motivate and lead by example.
- Develop, maintain, and present timely and accurate reports on the financial condition of the company.
- Represent the firm with clients, vendors, and business partners.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute the annual budget process.
- Prepare and report on Projections, P/L Statements, budgeting, and cash flow planning.
- Meeting regularly with the Finance team and Tax Accountant to ensure efficiency in fiscal operations and tax planning.
- Develop and maintain financial accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit control, and petty cash
- Reconcile bank and investment accounts
- Review monthly results and implement monthly variance reporting
- Oversee the bookkeeping function including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll
- Manage the acquisition of capital assets and ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate
- Prepare annual charitable return in a timely manner as appropriate
- Assist the CEO and COO with financial reporting as required at Board meetings and ExCom meetings.
- Manage, mentor and provide support to Finance team.
- Provide analytical support to management team, including development of internal management reporting capabilities.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
Strategic Planning and Leadership
- Work alongside the management team to develop and implement strategies for growth and company improvement.
- Develop and maintain fiscal strategies to maximize assets, working capital, operational efficiencies and general financial success.
- Write an annual strategic growth plan with a section dedicated to successes and failures from the previous year’s plan focused on growth and efficiency strategies.
- Advise the CEO/COO and other key members of management on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the CEO and COO informed of all critical issues.
- Represent the organization externally as necessary, particularly in banking, lease, and supplier negotiations.
EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS
The ideal candidate for this position will have at least five years of experience in an upper-management or leadership position, and several years of experience working for a consumer facing packaged product brand. They should have extensive experience in business management, and developing long-term strategic goals for manufacturing and branded product sales businesses. The candidate should also have experience implementing measurable benchmarks for team success.
- Business or Accounting degree.
- CPA or high level understanding of bookkeeping and financial analysis
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a senior management role ideally with in-house financial management experience gained in a high-growth organization
- Experience preparing and presenting financial reports, financial analysis to senior management and Corporate Board
- Consumer brand business experience, preferably in the food space, highly preferred
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Strong mentoring and coaching experience and a desire to contribute to the career growth of team members
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Self reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and administration initiatives.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, Taza Chocolate’s board of directors, and staff
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for Taza Chocolate’s mission
This is a full-time, exempt position, working standard business hours (Monday-Friday 9:00-5:30pm). The employee is expected to work 40 hours per week.
Each employee at Taza is subject to an annual and 6-month performance review. These reviews address the points found in the Duties & Responsibilities section above and allow the Company and the Employee to evaluate their success in fulfilling them. Results from performance reviews are used to make improvements inside the company, educate and empower the employee, provide benchmarks for individual growth, and provide factual basis for increases in compensation. Compensation is reviewed on an annual basis.
View more careers at Taza, here.