At Taza Chocolate we make stone ground, organic chocolate. We want our cacao’s complex flavors to speak loud and proud. That is why we stone grind cacao beans into minimally processed chocolate with bold flavor and texture, unlike anything you have ever tasted.
Taza is organized into three major functions at its Somerville operation: Production, Sales & Marketing, and Operations. The Maintenance Technician performs an important role on the Production team. He/she supports all of Taza teams by maintaining all areas of the Taza Chocolate facility, but this position primarily supports our manufacturing operations. The Maintenance Technician reports directly to the Maintenance Supervisor, but will work closely with the Plant Manager.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- These ongoing tasks keep our equipment up and running at their fullest capacity, and should be scheduled to ensure upkeep.
- Creation of a preventative maintenance system to ensure all production equipment is serviced based on vendor recommendations
- Helping to ensure we meet OSHA standards for equipment
- Roaster maintenance: Greasing parts, and checking bolts, belt tension, and air ducts
- Winnower maintenance: Cleaning and greasing
- Air compressor: Changing oil and filters
- Wrapping machines: Greasing and oiling, replacing parts as necessary
- Greasing pumps in depositor and hot room
- These tasks will take priority, as they impact our ability to make chocolate and/or run the production line. Flexibility is key!
- Getting manufacturing equipment back in working order, working with contractors and ordering parts as needed
- Minor carpentry, plumbing, HVAC, and electrical work in both production and mezzanine office space
- The Maintenance Technician will have contact with a number of outside contractors and service providers
- Researching and seeking out necessary parts, equipment, and services
- Involvement in commissioning new factory equipment
- Making autonomous decisions about when an outside contractor is needed, and making arrangements
- Getting price quotes and bids for work needing an outside contractor, and being mindful of budget limitations
Minor Maintenance Requests:
- Adjustments to work stations
- Assistance moving large items
- Working with the Office Manager to identify small maintenance needs
EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS
A successful Maintenance Technician has a positive/can-do attitude, and is a team player. The right candidate will be mechanically inclined and have moderate carpentry, electrical, plumbing, and HVAC knowledge. The candidate must be diligent in their duties and able to make independent decisions and to prioritize effectively. This position requires interfacing with all Taza teams and strong verbal communication and organizational skills. The Maintenance Technician should be motivated by the ever-changing dynamic of Taza Chocolate’s needs. This position requires flexibility in scheduling in case an emergency repair is needed.
REMOTE WORK: No
This is a full-time, hourly position. Hours for this position are determined by Taza’s manufacturing and business hours, although some work will need to be done during off-hours. The employee is expected to work at least 40 hours per week, and may need to work on an on-call basis as the need arises.
Interested candidates should send a resumé and cover letter to email@example.com. No calls, please.
View more careers at Taza, here.