At Taza Chocolate we make stone ground, organic chocolate. We want our cacao’s complex flavors to shout loud and proud. That is why we stone grind cacao beans into minimally processed chocolate with bold flavor and texture, unlike anything you have ever tasted.
Taza is organized into two divisions: Production and Operations. The Production Engineer performs an important role on the Production team by overseeing and improving production processes in our factory, planning and executing preventative maintenance schedule, as-needed repairs, and minor maintenance requests, as well as by documenting and leading a Safety program, machine operating procedures, and robust policy and procedure to support the safety program. This position will supervise the Lead Maintenance Supervisor and the Maintenance Technician. The Production Engineer reports directly to the Plant Manager and Chief Operating Officer.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan, manage, and oversee all elements of production in our factory.
- Designing and planning processes, staffing, and equipment layout.
- As needed, find, negotiate, and commission new equipment assets that will generate strong ROI and allow us to achieve efficiency and throughput goals.
- Suggest and implement process optimizations by developing, improving and implementing alternate equipment and energy solutions.
- Conducting tests and monitoring the process performance throughout production.
- Maximize productivity of machinery and workers to deliver on energy and labor cost performance goals.
- Increase speed and efficiency of processes without compromising quality.
- Overhaul and improve current preventive maintenance system to ensure all production equipment is serviced based on vendor recommendations and Maintenance Technician experience.
- Regular maintenance on all chocolate making equipment. To include but not limited to the BarthSirocco Roaster(s), Carle Cocoa Winnower, air compressors, all refining equipment, material handling equipment, tanks, wrapping machines, cooling and air handling equipment, boilers, and energy transmission equipment.
- Responsible for all commissioning of new factory equipment.
- Diagnose breakdowns and troubleshoot problems. Create and document long term solutions.
- Follow and adhere to all state, federal and company safety rules and regulations.
Repairs & Minor Maintenance Requests:
- Ensuring manufacturing equipment is in optimal working order.
- Order maintenance and facilities related parts or services as needed under the boundaries of the operating expense and Capital expense lines of the budget and the supervision of the Plant Manager.
- Making autonomous decisions about when an outside contractor is needed and making the necessary arrangements to see this type of service through contractors.
- Get price quotes and bids for work needing outside contractors, and being mindful of budget limitations.
- Ensure a clean and organized tool crib and maintenance department.
- Overhaul and improve current Safety Standard Operating Procedures.
- Revise, implement and execute facility safety and training program.
- Ensure OSHA standards for equipment are met and LOTO system is maintained effectively.
- Develop and monitor KPIs for safety.
- Creates training programs about employee safety procedures and accident protection and prevention, trains production staff.
- Inspect company facilities, and recommending corrections or additional precautions to ensure compliance to established regulations; conduct self-inspections and mock recalls.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIREMENTS
- 5-10 years’ experience in maintenance in a manufacturing setting, CPG Manufacturing preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering; master’s degree preferred
- Professional Engineer (PE) licensure
- High attention to detail
- Ability to optimize production processes
- Analytical skills
- Diligent in duties and able to make independent decisions and to prioritize effectively
- Strong verbal communication and organizational skills
- Schedule flexibility is required (in case an emergency repair is needed)
REMOTE WORK: No
This is an exempt, salaried position. Hours for this position are determined by Taza’s manufacturing and business hours, although some work will need to be done during off-hours. The employee is expected to work at least 40 hours per week and may need to work on an on-call basis as the need arises.
Interested candidates should send a resumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please.
View more careers at Taza, here.