At Taza Chocolate we make stone ground, organic chocolate. We want our cacao’s complex flavors to speak loud and proud. That is why we stone grind cacao beans into minimally processed chocolate with bold flavor and texture, unlike anything you have ever tasted.
Taza is organized into three main functions at its Somerville operation: Production, Sales & Marketing, and Operations. The Purchasing Manager performs an important role on the Production Team ensuring that Taza has the raw and packaging materials necessary to meet customer orders on time and in full. They must plan, develop, and execute on strategic procurement of food and packaging ingredients on a worldwide scale, through effective negotiation, networking, and market trend research. The Purchasing Manager will play a key role on the R&D team by contributing directly for the R&D process and sourcing new ingredients and packaging.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage vendor approval process, COAs, and maintain updated ingredient certifications in compliance with certifying agency mandates. Kosher, Non-GMO, Organic, and Gluten Free certifications
- Manage purchasing process: create and refine tools that align demand for materials and packaging with production and sales forecast
- Ensure redundancy of key supply chain components to mitigate interruptions of ingredient and material consumption
- Monitor vendor performance: create metrics as required to monitor and evaluate vendor performance to key attributes (on-time/complete delivery, adherence to specifications, accurate pricing, etc.)
- Champion supply chain continuous improvement by seeking alternate suppliers for packaging and raw materials while enhancing finished product profit margins and quality
- Manage, maintain, and report monthly on last price paid costs of ingredients and components
- Purchase Order entry, maintenance, and reconciliation
- Reconcile and approve ingredient and packaging invoice payments
- Negotiate and manage ingredient and packaging contracts
- Conduct monthly inventory tracking, cycle count, and variance reporting
- Calculate ingredient and packaging bi-annual material forecast in collaboration with the COO and Plant Manager
- Manage aging inventory and disposition of assets
- Forecast price trends and impact on future business activities.
- Audit incoming shipments for specification accuracy and follow up with suppliers on deviations
- Understand the delivery and storage constraints of the facility and coordinate effectively with 3rd party warehouses and internal warehousing activities as dictated by production schedule.
- Coordinate cost model roll up for all concept products in development
- Work closely with R&D team on new product development timeline deliverables and ingredient sourcing in accordance with vendor approval process
- Coordinate printing of product packaging. Review artwork with Brand Manager to ensure marketing and regulatory compliance
- Oversee print vendor proof approval and production process
- Detail oriented
- A team player
- A strong communicator who will maintains excellent communication with colleagues and external vendors
- A professional candidate who can easily work cross-functionally with all of the teams at Taza Chocolate (Sales, Marketing, Retail, Operations, and Shipping)
- Bachelor’s degree in Logistics, Supply Chain, Industrial or Mechanical Engineering, Business or related
- 3+ years in a management level position in a production environment required
- 2+ years’ experience in food production preferred
- Excellent time management skills and strong follow-through and follow-up skills, supported by professional references
- Ability to think critically about processes and supply chain systems with a focus on continuous improvement
- Strong project management, problem solving and planning skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to use Google for Work/Google Drive and Docs
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
This is a full-time, exempt position, working standard business hours (Monday-Friday 9:00-5:30pm). The employee is expected to work 40 hours per week.
Hybrid. This position is expected to be onsite 2-3 days of the week.
View more careers at Taza, here.