At Taza Chocolate we make stone ground, organic chocolate. We want our cacao’s complex flavors to speak loud and proud. That is why we stone grind cacao beans into minimally processed chocolate with bold flavor and texture, unlike anything you have ever tasted.
The Purchasing Specialist has an important role on the Manufacturing Team. Primaryresponsibility is to ensure that Taza has all raw and packaging materials necessary to meet production and customer orders on time and in full. The Procurement Specialist plan, develop, and execute on strategic procurement of food and packaging ingredients on a worldwide scale, through effective negotiation, networking, and market trend research. The PS will take lead role to support, and manage on-going supplier management strategy, including scorecard development with relevant KPIs, business reviews, benchmarking, market condition updates, etc. The PS will address and resolve issues related to material quality, price, service, and delivery.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage purchasing process : create and refine tools that align demand for materials and packaging with production and sales forecasts.
- Manage vendor onboarding and ongoing approval process by maintaining current product specifications, COAs, and all applicable certifications (with Quality Assurance Manager) Kosher, Non-GMO, Organic, and Gluten Free .
- Monitor vendor performance: Create metrics as required to monitor and evaluate vendor performance. to key attributes (on-time/ complete delivery, adherence to specifications, accurate pricing, etc)
- Manage, maintain, and report monthly on last price paid costs of ingredients and components
- Maintain Purchase Order registry and reconcile each receivable to
- Reconcile and approve ingredient and packaging invoice payments
- Participate in negotiations for ingredient and packaging contracts
- Ensure redundancy of key supply chain components to mitigate interruptions of ingredient and material consumption by identifying secondary and in some cases tertiary suppliers
- Calculate ingredient and packaging bi-annual material forecast in collaboration with Director of Manufacturing
- Advise NPD and Manufacturing of price trends, cost breaks by volume and impact on future business activities.
- Audit incoming shipments for specification accuracy and follow up with suppliers on deviations
- With Director of Manufacturing and WH Manager, coordinate delivery and storage of materials, utilizing outside storage resources as required .
- Contribute to cost model roll up for all concept products in development
- Work closely with R&D team on new product development timeline deliverables and ingredient sourcing in accordance with vendor approval process
- Detail oriented
- A team player
- A strong communicator who will maintains excellent communication with colleagues and external vendors
- A professional candidate who can easily work cross-functionally with all of the teams at Taza Chocolate (Sales, Marketing, Retail, Operations, and Shipping)
- Bachelor’s degree in Logistics, Supply Chain, Industrial or Mechanical Engineering, Business or related
- 4+ years in a management level position in a production environment required
- 2+ years experience in food production preferred
- Excellent time management skills and strong follow-through and follow-up skills, supported by professional references
- Ability to think and act critically about processes and supply chain systems with a focus on continuous improvement
- Strong project management, problem solving and planning skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to use MSOffice, Google for Work/Google Drive and Docs (Quickbooks a plus) to create useful and transparent electronic tools for demand planning on materials and packaging.
- Excellent time management skills
This is a full-time, exempt position, working standard business hours (Monday-Friday 9:00-5:30pm). The employee is expected to work 40 hours per week.