1 pound 70% Taza Stone Ground Chocolate, chopped
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
4 1/2 cups half & half
1. In a large heat-proof bowl, whisk egg yolks throughly and then whisk in the sugar. In the meantime, heat the half & half over medium heat whisking regularly. Bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat.
2. Wait 5 minutes, then stir the chocolate into the half & half until blended throughly. Try not to aerate the mixture.
3. Slowly whisk the chocolate mixture into the yolk mixture, whisking constantly until blended.
4. Place the bowl over a pot of boiling water, or use a bain-marie. Whisk mixture regularly for 10-15 minutes until it seems slightly thickened & hot.
5. As soon as it thickly coats the back of a spoon, the custard is ready. Remove from heat immediately, and set aside to cool. To prevent a skin from forming, lay some plastic wrap across the surface. Refrigerate until cooled.
5. Freeze using your ice cream makerof choice according to manufacturer's instructions.