Chocolate and beer are a fantastic pairing – and this simple, rich, deeply flavored cake lets both ingredients take a starring role. We used (and highly recommend) Slumbrew Porter Square Porter, which is made with Taza! If you can’t find it, you could substitute another chocolate porter or stout. Make sure there’s plenty of beer left to serve alongside this scrumptious cake.
Makes one 9-inch cake
- 1 cup chocolate porter (we recommend Slumbrew Porter Square Porter)
- 1 cup butter
- 3 oz Taza Dominican 60% Dark Stone Ground Chocolate, chopped
- 1 ½ cups confectioners sugar
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (any % fat will work)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 inch springform cake pan.
In a small saucepan heat beer, butter and chocolate over medium heat until butter has melted. Remove from heat.
In a large mixing bowl whisk together sugar, flour, baking soda and cocoa powder. Whisk in beer mixture, Greek yogurt and eggs until there are no lumps, then pour into prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.
To make the icing, beat cream cheese, confectioners sugar, and heavy cream together until smooth then spread over the top of the cake. Decorate if desired.