At Taza Chocolate we make organic, stone ground chocolate. We want our cacao’s complex flavors to shout loud and proud. That is why we stone grind cacao beans into minimally processed chocolate with bold flavor and texture, unlike anything you have ever tasted.
Taza is organized into two major functions: Production and Operations (including Sales, Marketing & Retail). The Factory Store & Tour Manager performs an important role on the Marketing team within the Retail division. They are responsible for managing the day-to-day operational requirements of these two key functions. With a focus on customer service and a strong understanding of the Taza brand, the Factory Store & Tour Manager will ensure a consistent and excellent customer service experience in the factory store. This position reports directly to the Retail Operations & Events Manager.
Factory Store & Tours Operations
The Factory Store and Tours Manager will have operational oversight over Taza’s Factory Store and Tour business. Reporting directly to the Retail Operations & Events Manager, this position will be focused around delivering a consistent branded Taza experience to drive in Factory Store sales and Tour/ ticket revenue.
- Maintain high quality staff on the Factory Store team, ensuring effective staffing, sales transactions, inventory management, and tour scheduling, and most importantly customer experience;
- Ensure excellent customer service and offer visitors an educational experience including Taza’s history, mission, manufacturing processes, and products;
- Ensure effectiveness of merchandising solutions
- Work with the Retail Operations & Events Manager to continually develop the Factory Store & Tour business to maximize revenues and brand experience;
- Work with the Retail Operations & Events Manager and Marketing team to drive store and tour promotional efforts through partnerships, advertising, deals, and other traffic generating activities
Factory Tours, Classes and Chocolate Experiences
These tasks involve managing ticketed tour and educational activities, staffing, and responsibilities. Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Manage tour reservation system to streamline reservations and payment for public and private reservations, ticketed events etc.
- Train Factory Store staff ensuring all team members have the necessary tools and training needed to perform Taza tours and additional educational programming, ensuring tour guides provide customers an educational experience including our information about our history, mission, manufacturing processes, and products;
- Ensure that public & private tour inquiries are responded to swiftly and accurately.
- Schedule tour staffing based on projected tours and related activities
- Track effectiveness of factory tour-ways and maintain a customer friendly environment that best represents the Taza brand & culture
Factory Store Event Programming and Execution
This involves assisting the Retail Operations & Events Manager in planning and preparing for special in-store events.
- Ensure adequate staffing and in-store preparation of Factory Store for planned events
- In tandem with the Retail Operations & Events Manager:
- Drive development of Factory Store promotion calendar in support of identified retail sales and marketing goals
- Coordinate promotional efforts and identify creative needs
- Assist in oversight of large-scale factory store events: Spring Block Party, Dia de Los Muertos and Holiday Events, including permitting, staffing and pre-event communication for guest vendors
Retail Product Management & Merchandising - There are opportunities to sell unique products into our retail channels that can grow revenues and improve the unique customer experience of the Factory Store. The FS & Tour Manager works with the Retail Operations & Events Manager to identify these opportunities and advocate for these product needs.
- Manage external vendors on retail-specific product needs (including soft goods, shopping bags, molinillos, mugs etc)
- Closely monitor product performance, profitability and quality, and cancel underperforming products in a timely fashion.
- Ensure the alignment of merchandising strategies with Brand Positioning and Guidelines by working with CDO, Director of Marketing and E-Commerce, and Retail Operations & Events Manager.
- Monitor retail merchandising on a daily basis.
- Execute and/or train staff to execute weekly display adjustments to focus on high in-stock numbers, slow-moving items, or refocus on priorities
- Execute/oversee monthly partial resets of merchandise to coincide with in-store events or holidays w/ goal to drive sales for particular SKUs
- Oversee full merchandising resets quarterly
- Maintain an updated Taza Chocolate Merchandising Guide
- Work with the Director of Marketing and E-Commerce, and Retail Operations & Events Manager to specify/acquire/maintain/update physical merchandising materials (signage, display items, decoration) and to align merchandising strategy with promotions, themes, and sales goals
- Develop planograms and train staff to read and implement them
EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree and 3+ years experience in retail and events management, have a creative eye for retail merchandising, have strong P&L management skills, and be strongly committed to providing an excellent customer experience. The successful candidate will be enthusiastic about quickly gaining an in-depth understanding of Taza Chocolate’s products, manufacturing processes, Direct Trade sourcing program, history and philosophy, and have the communication and interpersonal skills needed to educate and engage both visitors and retail team employees about Taza.
- 3+ years experience in retail and events management required
- Professional or personal experience in event planning or educational communication is preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills
- High level of enthusiasm and self-motivation
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
- Technically proficient in required software for general business and retail operations
- Flexible work schedule required including weekend and holiday availability. Peak business periods may require extended workdays and work weeks
- Ability to lift and move product weighing up to 30 pounds
This is a full-time, exempt position with management responsibility. Hours for the position will be determined by the hours of operation for the Factory Store and in-store events. Operating hours for the store are currently Monday- Friday 11am-6pm, and Saturday and Saturday 10am-6pm. The employee is expected to work at least 40 hours per week.
View more careers at Taza, here.